Do you ever crave a kind word? Just one? Especially on a day where the clouds smother the blue sky and everything looks bleak and you’re not sure when the sun will ever come out again? I know I do. Days like that I desperately need someone to see something special in me and tell me. Remind me. Because I forgot somewhere what it is about me that is special. Maybe some of you have never heard what it is that is special about you. Can I tell you that there is something? I know there is. Your smile. Your eyes. Your laugh. Those things are all special.
I’ve found that finding something special in someone else makes me feel special. When I crave a kind word I try to go out of my way to offer one to someone else. Because I’m probably not the only one having a cloudy day. Someone else is too. I can at least make their day a little brighter and, inevitably, my day shines a little more, too.
Mahatma Gandhi said: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
Such a great statement for the big, sweeping, revolutionary idealists and for the little spark of an idea people like me. A person who just wants to feel a little special so I’ll make someone else feel special. It’s that easy.
Here are a few ideas to make someone feel special:
1. Make eye contact and smile at someone you pass on the street
2. At Starbucks/Tim Horton’s buy the person behind you their coffee
3. Talk to the next cashier you come across. Say their name and thank them
4. Give a compliment to someone you normally don’t talk to
5. Write a note to a relative/friend/teacher who has influenced you for the better. Tell them how they made a difference
Don’t underestimate your shine!